After what seems like months of struggling to do any real painting I have had a bit of a ‘eureka’ moment today. Over the weekend the current canvas I am working on has developed from this:
There is still a lot of work ahead in order to complete this canvas but, for the first time in months, I am excited about the challenges ahead in order to complete the painting. In addition to the work completed on the actual canvas, I have also started making sketches of the imagery that will be added to this painted base. The aesthetic of the canvas will evolve and develop as I add additional layers and work back into the base.
I now have a definite feeling that I needed to go through the process of making mistakes on this canvas in order to move it forward. It allowed me to not feel precious or sentimental about where the work was going as whatever I did could only be an improvement.
I can feel a tangible sense of urgency to get my ideas down on canvas, and tackle any difficulties, as soon as possible. I have not experienced this feeling for a good couple of months. It hopefully signals the end of the productivity block that I have experienced from almost the start of this year. I am loathe to call it a creative block as I have continued to have lots of ideas but, for whatever reasons, have not been motivated to convert to practical progress.
Fingers crossed that I can keep up my new found momentum with this painting. I will, of course, keep you updated on progress.